Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fly Kite

I called ESU Petronas, requesting that they will extend my scholarship to cover my cost upon embarking on this Study Abroad Program, whereby I'll be studying in the University of Melbourne for a semester. Though its a short one semester the total cost is exorbitant.

Keeping a polite and hopeful tune, I called Mr Asridin our student advisor to UTP based scholars.

Me : Sir, will Petronas be able to sponsor my course of study in Melbourne considering I'm the only one embarking on this program and my good track record.
Asridin : No I don't think so. But we working with UTP to send students over under the same program later on in the year.
Me : So does this mean Petronas will only sponsor the coming batch and not mine this time. I'm surprised why ESU does not sponsor this batch which I'm going on, but the previous and the coming ones. Can't anything be done sir?
Asridin : No I'm afraid not. Too bad for you. Its just pure bad timing.

I was very indignant when I heard that. Yeah its bad timing and though luck, but that doesn't mean I have to be told that apart from being spoken to in a tone as if I was a beggar. I wasn't really indignant or mad when I heard they will not be sponsoring, but in the later part of the conversation when that whole conversation took place I was blown off.

I'm a student you are my advisor. Where's your professionalism. At least decline me in a better manner. And once I said thank you, he slammed the phone. Well probably they think its not worth spending money on me because I'm not good enough for them, ain't it.

Well, at least thanks Mr Asridin for even taking time to talk to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there,
we do not know each other, but we experienced the very same situation, dealing with that man. For all I can say, it's like a total useless to ever call/talk/discuss/e-mail him. Trust me. All that u may expect is u might get slammed back, just like u had (sorry to hear that). He won't even take note of what u were saying, infact keep denying your rights, from the start to the end of conversation. I don't get it, why the ESU or even himself say that everyone may meet/call him if we have any matter regarding the scholarship since he don't feel like entertaining us at all. I was once calling him over lunch, (yes, I know it is lunch time) just to ask when can I meet him. My simple query was replied with a tone that convinced me he hate it much if anyone call him during the lunch. Cmon, can't he just spend 3minutes of his precious lunch hour just to answer a call meant for seeking his help. Too bad he didn't. Phew.. I can go for days to talk bout him, but anyway..Take a lesson from us everyone else.

TzeYang said...

hey there joey, I might not know you, but I reckon you're a Petronas scholar. I was hoping you left your email add. Didn't realise this post manage to capture stranger's attention. Yeah it sucked, though i wouldn't wanna get too worked up over it anymore. its just not worth the fuss. are you from UTP?